Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Family Connections

Within the Social Studies realm of History, Geography, Civics and Government and Economics, there is also a place for relationships, family, and culture. Family holds a place in every one's life, whether it holds a good place or a bad place. The word family can incorporate culture, background, values, and the people that may or may not hold a special place in our lives. Family can also mean the word tradition. There are thousands of family traditions. Some people may have the same family traditions, and some people may have different traditions, but the most important thing is that when that tradition is happening, we are with family.
One thing my family likes to do is bake. Once a year we bake cookies for the local fire department, and all of the money raised goes to the fire department. There has been a cookie recipe in our family for a long time and it is called Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Cookies. My grandma promises that these cookies are "healthy" cookies, but there sure is a lot of butter and chocolate chips to make them "healthy!"

Here is a picture of the cookies!

Family is something that is extremely important to me, and I would not be who I am today without my loving family. There may be students in my future classroom that do not have family, but that is where I as their teacher try to guide, direct, love, and support them in every way possible. By incorporating authentic resources into my classroom such as famous family recipes, then my students will be able to make more than surface connections.
Here is another picture of the cookies at the trade fair that we had at school!


Below is a blog created by a teacher. She uses different receipes throughout her blog, and she makes family connections, as well as how she incorporated the receipe into her classroom. This was a great blog to read, and the receipes sound really good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment